Saturday 18 December 2021

Saturday 18th December - The Lantern-Maker's Courtship

 Blimey, school has broken up, I'm not in the office again until next year and so things are beginning to look a lot like Christmas! It's Saturday morning and so I'm taking it a little easy before we deliver some presents this afternoon. I also need to write a shopping list for Christmas food at some point as I'm doing an early raid on the supermarket during the week, then battening down the hatches. Whatever you are up to today, take care out there.  Right, on with today's picture...

The Lantern-Maker's Courtship (1854-60) William Holman Hunt

This is probably a very familiar painting to you, one of Hunt's Holy Land-inspired scenes showing everyday life in the East. A young lantern-maker is sitting outside the workshop and is attempting to woo a young lady by trying to have a feel of her face.  In response to this encounter, the girl has popped her foot.  Is this the international sign of cute romance? You can even get decorations for your wedding cake with the popped foot...

Why is that a thing? I'm puzzled.  Also, I have a few questions about why it's cute that he's fondling her face through her veil but I'm letting that go for now because I want to talk about how cute that dog is...


That is a very good boy indeed.  The wonderfully touchable fur has such depth and layers.  Even though we can't see his face, we know he's a noble looking chap. Is the fact that we can't see the dog's face connected to the fact that the young lady is veiled? Both of their faces are hidden but both also have to put up with the lantern-maker's nonsense.  The dog is asleep next to our bare-foot lothario's shoes keeping well out of the palaver that is going on above him. I bet he sees it all the time.  The lantern-maker has shiny lamps, girls like shiny lamps.

Steering away from the 'courtship' for a moment (and as far as I'm concerned, rubbing your hand on some poor girl's chops is not courtship, for goodness sake), apart from the very lovely dog, the other thing that always catches my eye is what's going on it the background...

There is a western chap in a top hat on a donkey. The camel has a look of surprise which frankly I share and the gentleman has a whip in his hand which it looks like he's using against another chap.  What on earth is going on back there?! It can't be too loud or I'm sure the dog would be interested.  Blossom gets involved in all noise and rumpus.  Possibly again, the dog has seen far too many embarrassing foreigners and can't be bothered to react to yet another one. The dog has a right idea.  May you too be as relaxed as the lantern-maker's dog today and I'll catch you tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. That's a whole other story going on in the background, and one I haven't given much notice to before now, so thank you for shining a light on that. Does he want to take her veil off so he can kiss her? Blimey, he needs to back off - hasn't he heard of social distancing?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for your comment. I shall post it up shortly! Kx