Tuesday 14 December 2021

Tuesday 14th December - The Patchwork Quilt

 I think I've finished my Christmas shopping.  I'm saying this while crossing my fingers and touching wood, but I don't think I've forgotten anyone and most of it has been sent off, so I think I can relax for a bit, which is a joyous thought indeed.  Goodness, I might have time for a bit of handicraft, which would be very relaxing...

The Patchwork Quilt (1887) Lance Calkin

What a glorious picture! And what a lovely patchwork quilt, made out of such tiny pieces.  It's a proper labour of love and using up scraps.  My Grandma used to use up her oddments making patchwork things like antimacassars and arm covers for her chairs.  I continue to use her arm covers on our sofa...

They are just so jolly and remind me of her. I would love to learn how to do patchwork as I love the look of it. We have a massive patchwork quilt over our bed-sofa in the front room, but sadly that was not made by me but rather by the clever people at British Home Stores...


 My daughter is elegantly slumping and Chairman Meow is getting comfy on the wonderful patchwork quilt which I got in BHS's closing sale. Maybe I'll give it a go this Christmas as I have quite a lot of Morris fabric scraps which I refuse to part with. Anyway, back to today's picture...

Our industrious lady is making a gorgeous quilt - can I see little pink pieces that match her dress?  I remember when I was little, every summer fete day at the school where we lived, they would hang up bunting made by my Mum out of scraps of fabric left over from making my dresses. I would walk around spotting different dresses from different years.


I love the little buttons scattered on the floor - or are they off-cuts? When I do crafting I tend to make a bit of a mess and that is a huge quilt she working on. The basket of her spare fabric looks tempting to have a rummage in. She's not going to run out of material any time soon.

A bit like Chairman Meow in the picture above, the lady's little dog is enjoying the comfortable qualities of a patchwork quilt.  He's made himself right at home and will not be shifting any time soon.  Mind you, it looks like the lady has prepared for a long session and brought a massive cup of something and a plate which obviously contained stitching fuel. Possibly powered by hot chocolate and cake, she has managed to sew that entire quilt in one sitting.  I am definitely beginning to see a future for me in patchwork if it involves cake and hot chocolate.

I must admit to not knowing who Lance Calkin was - he was born George Lance Calkin (1859-1936), son of a composer, who was chiefly known as a portrait painter to a great many men who all look very similar.  He did rather a splendid painting of Edward VII.  Looking through the paintings that are in public hands via ArtUK I have to admit that this painting, acquired by Nottingham City Museums and Galleries not long before Calkin died in 1936, is a highlight of his work and reminded me of a gloomy sibling to the Penzance school. It is rather lovely and anything that makes me want to have a go at a new craft has got to be a decent picture.

I'll catch you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for your comment. I shall post it up shortly! Kx